SECOND DU HOUSE 1910–1932
In early 1910 the alumni association hired noted New York City architect F.Y. Joannes, Arch. '00 to design the reconstruction of the chapter house. Later that same year, the Cornell Alumni News reported on the work in progress:
"The new house of Delta Upsilon, which is almost completed, is built on the site of the old house at South and West Avenues. The old foundations have been used except on the east side where the house has been enlarged 12 feet. The house will be ready for occupancy about Christmas time.
"The basement contains the kitchen and pantry, but not the dining room as in the former building. That room will be on the main floor, and will be 42 feet long by 26 feet wide. Besides the dining room, on the main floor there will be a chapter room and library on the north, a reception hall [Great Hall] in the middle and a music room at the south of the house. The second and third floors will contain the studies and sleeping rooms. These floors are arranged in suites and will accommodate thirty men. Two separate stairways lead from the basement to the top floor and it is thus made possible to divide the house when occasion may require.
"The third floor has a sleeping loggia, which is ample for twelve beds. In its exterior the house will be similar to the one that burned last winter. The first floor will be of brick and the remainder of stucco. It will be of slow burning construction and divided into three sections by fireproof walls." [Oct. 19, 1910]